Fallboard Lead

Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:57:41 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> I tuned a couple of days ago for a lady who was having a bad
> buzz/rattle.  I typically tap/pat around the piano looking for
> something loose.  When I removed the fallboard and patted it I
> heard that sound of something loose.  It was the metal bars
> screwed into the bottom of the fallboard.  I tighten the screws
> but the rattle was still there.  I advised we remove it and see
> for sure that it was the problem.  I soon found out it was made
> of lead and then I began to wonder what its purpose was?  I
> thought it was steel plates to help prevent warping of the
> fallboard...Wrong!  Was the lead for counterbalance with
> fallboard?  To help keep it from falling on fingers?  Well the
> rattle was gone and the fallboard worked fine and didn't seem to
> want to fall on the hands.  Question...Should I have pounded the
> lead to get rid of the rattle?  Very soft and malleable!
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> David ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA

----------------------

Yes, the lead is for the purpose of counterbalancing the key cover. The
biggest problem occurs when the pianist reaches up to turn pages and
their coat or shirt sleeve catches the top lip of fall on its way back
down. (There is a reason why this part is called the "fall" board.) You
might want to be a little cautious in removing it permanently. I'm aware
of at least one hand injury resulting from a key cover falling on a
pianists hand.

There are at least two ways to permanently stop this thing from
rattling. One is to put a layer of felt between it and the keycover.
Another is to glue the thing in place (along with the original screws)
using PVC-e or melamine glue or even Elmer’s white glue, come to that.
Of the two, I prefer the felt. It's easier to disassemble later, if for
some reason it has to be taken apart. (Well, I don't know why
either...maybe for finishing or something.)

--ddf