Fallboard Lead

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 22:12:00 +0000

List,

I tuned a couple of days ago for a lady who was having a bad
buzz/rattle.  I typically tap/pat around the piano looking for
something loose.  When I removed the fallboard and patted it I
heard that sound of something loose.  It was the metal bars
screwed into the bottom of the fallboard.  I tighten the screws
but the rattle was still there.  I advised we remove it and see
for sure that it was the problem.  I soon found out it was made
of lead and then I began to wonder what its purpose was?  I
thought it was steel plates to help prevent warping of the
fallboard...Wrong!  Was the lead for counterbalance with
fallboard?  To help keep it from falling on fingers?  Well the
rattle was gone and the fallboard worked fine and didn't seem to
want to fall on the hands.  Question...Should I have pounded the
lead to get rid of the rattle?  Very soft and malleable!

Thanks in advance...

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA