Fw: rescaling reply

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:59:37 -0700

pianoman wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Fw: rescaling
> > Date: Saturday, September 27, 1997 7:31 PM
> >
> > pianoman wrote:
> > > Thank you Tom for your enlightenment.  I take it you have a rescaling
> program.  Are you selling it?  This is my first attempt to learn more about
> this subject.
>
> Thank you,
> James Grebe

James,

What I have is a FileMaker (for Mac) database into which I have put all
the string formulas and have layouts for listing inharmonicity, tension,
percent of break point and hammer/string contact time numbers. I have
not linked it to a chart making program and furthermore, it is not a
tried and proven tool so I am not willing to sell it at this time. So
far I've used it to smooth out the plain wire scaling in a few different
restringing jobs but I don't consider myself expert enough to
intelligently deal with bass strings or problems with the break. In
fact, I just recently had Dave Sanderson rescale and wind strings for my
Steinway upright. If you have read other current posts touching on this
subject, you may be getting the drift that beyond the craft of
rescaling, there is definitely an art.

So, if you would like to have a "real" rescaling program, you might try
Tremaine Parsons who has developed a program (runs on PC computers).
There are others, I'm sure, but I don't recall who at the moment.
--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA