Tuning files (was RCT and SAT archives)

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 11:10:26 -0500

----------
> From: Michel Lachance <chance@InterLinx.qc.ca>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Tuning files (was RCT and SAT archives)
> Date: Sunday, September 28, 1997 6:36 AM
>
> Hi Garret
>

> I have already raised the question on this list as to know if it we
> could share some "tuning files informations" that we could manually
> store in our SATs.  I didn't get many response on that, showing that the
> idea may not be very popular.
>
> There is something I am still not sure about.  I guess that there is no
> problem to share a tuning chart that is made from an aural tuning but,
>

> Michel (no, there is no mispelling) Lachance, RPT
> Dear Michel,
I have used an SAT for many years and used to keep files on different
pianos and the tunings that went with them.  This was even before FAC.  I
used to keep them in a file and the information kept was the note being
tuned, the partial listened to , and the cents deviation.  It was a real
time taker upper to manually put these files back in the SAT so I finally
stopped.  The small difference that the custom tuning made was not able to
be recognized by the client anyway.  Also I started using different methods
of tuning the treble and it got confusing to try to keep track of.  I now
use just the FAC, altered FAC, or the tuning for that model piano I have in
memory and I track the treble to make sure that it is what I am shooting
for.
	I don't see how tunings that are generated by a formula that can be
changed each time you use it could be copyrighted.  One of Dr. Sandersons
ads read that you could trade the tunings amongst one another with people
who had the midi option.   To me that shows thaT HE HAD NO INTENETION OF
TRYING TO COPYRIGHT TUNINGS.  Sorry pressed the wrong button.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com

> > Can the files which Michael  speaks of be FTPed?   I would be
interested in seeing
> > an archive of tunings established. Say perhaps classified by genre ..
whatever?