cracks

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Fri, 26 Sep 97 23:25:14 -0400

 Wallace Scherer, WallyTS@compuserve.com,9/26/97:
>the shipfitters used a type of x-ray
>machine to examine weld joints in the steel plates to see if there were any
>invisible cracks. I think pipefitters do the same when installing pipelines
>for petroleum.

They do this on a regular basis at the nuclear power plant 30 miles down
river from me (Vt Yankee, Vernon). When the Seabrook  (NH) nuke was being
built, some inspectors were fired when discovered to having falsified
records of defective welds thus discoevered.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty
of them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.