Tuning

Howard S. Rosen hsrosen@emi.net
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 20:49:05 -0400

Dear Carlos,

Regarding your 1st question - A "perfect 5th" is a musical term that means
the distance formed by the 1st and 5th notes of a diatonic scale. example
is C and G.
C and Gflat would be a diminished 5th, and C to Gsharp would be called an
augmented 5th.

A "pure 5th" is a term used by tuners to mean a 5th that is beatless. A 5th
that has beats is either contracted or expanded. A musician would consider
a 5th with beats as being out of tune but would still call it a perfect
5th.

Sorry, but I do not understand your 2nd question. Try again and reword the
question.

Regarding part 3 - 1.5 beats *does* mean one and a half beats per second.
NOT
ONE BEAT IN 5 SECONDS.

I hope this helps Carlos

Howard S. Rosen, RPT