Bushing Cauls:Plastic or Brass

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:53:13 -0700

Greetings All,
               As an addition to Rob Kiddell's good advice on rebushing,
there are two other observations that I would pass on.
1. Bushing length. Over the years I have had to rebush keys that have
had the cloth inserted too far into the key mortice, creating a
significant variation in touch weight and repetition. The bushmaster
tool produces a remarketable, reproducable job if used as directed.
2. I use a whistling kettle with the 'gizmo' removed from the flap, that
gives a nice 3/16" steam jet. Its perfect for removing bushings, and has
the added advantage of swelling the balance rail hole. If you direct the
steam into the mortise as well as the slot at the side of the of the
key, the bushing will almost fall out with no damage to the wood.
3. A good keybed rebuilding job  is the absolute base to any action
refurbishing. Fine action regulation can never be achieved if the keybed
is sick. Like a good foundation to a house all things go up from this
point.
Regards to all
Roger Jolly