Capo bar noise

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:47:17 -0700

Rob Kiddell wrote:

> Greetings list,
>
>         I'm currently working on prepping a new Baldwin L grand (6'3"), and
> there is a problem with excessive high partial noise from the first
> section of strings above  the agraffe section. Simply put, it is an
> excessive high partial ringing that is absent in the agraffe section,
> but becomes immediately apparent in the Capo bar section. This noise
> is so harsh as to qualify for ear protectors on a ff blow.  It is
> amplified by the front duplex section between the Capo bar and the
> first plate ridge past the tuning pins, but muting this kills all
> high end frequency and leaves the section lifeless. Hammers are hard,
> but voicing (I've tried several approaches) only diminishes the
> overall hammer volume, the amount of the high end noise remains
> consistent with the overall volume of the note, either mellow, medium
> or bright. This noise is also evident when the string is plucked, so
> I feel hammer voicing is not the solution. I have seen this problem
> before on Baldwins, but strangely enough, the identical 6'3" piano on
> the sales floor exhibits none of this "noise", yet the front
> duplexing section on this piano is amplifying high partials as it
> should.
>         I have spaced strings along the capo bar, streched
> strings, seated strings, muted strings, yet everything seems to come
> back to the Capo bar. Before I begin filing the Capo bar, are there
> any thoughts out there regarding this or similar problems?
>
> Rob Kiddell
> R.P.T., P.T.G.
> C.A.P.T. Student
> Edmonton, Canada
> http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/atonal.html
Rob,
    Nice to hear from you, I thought that I was the only one that
recieved pianos like that.
  Two suggestions come to mine.
  Check the down bearing, about 10 thou with the standard dial gauge in
the first soprano section.
  I have been sucessful in masking the problem by steaming the forward
shoulder of the hammer only,  this has worked but I'm still trying to
understand why. I think its because less energy is directed towards the
bar, but maybe I'm out to lunch on that one.
  Finally remove the bronze medal fom the plate its secured by 2
phillips screws,if the problem goes away use double sided carpet tape
and reinstall.
P.S. I bet you a toony its the medal, just had the same problem on
Winnepegs Concert Halls SD10.
  See you the next time I'm in Edmonton. Maybe an Oilers game.
Kind regards Roger.