Removing wax

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:59:24 -0700

Dave:
	I use Mohawk products exclusively for rejuvenating old pianos.  The wax
wash will work well.  It has toluene, and a few other things in it that
I can't remember.  It will leave the finish looking dull.  It is
actually meant for cleaning before spraying lacquer on an old finish.
You can get "Brill-Glo" from Mohawk which will bring up the luster of
the finish (I assume you are talking about lacquer) and make it quite
shiny.  You could also use some steel wool or a 3-M pad to make the
finish satiny if you like that look better.  Anything you use to remove
the wax will make the finish look dull, and you will want to do
something to the finish to bring out the beauty it once had.  Making a
finish shiny can be done in 2 ways.  First by polishing the lacquer
itself, using polishes.  Second, by putting something on the finish like
lemon oil, wax, etc.  Using the latter makes the finish susceptible to
fingerprints and smears, and it will catch dirt.  I prefer to use
polishes, or spray new lacquer over the old finish to make it shiny
(using gloss lacquers).  If the old finish is checked or cracked,
putting lemon oil on it will only make the cracks stand out.  French
polishing over an old finish will also make it look better, but in a few
years it will dull, and you will definitely have to start from scratch
and remove the finish entirely.  You can't spray over the French Polish
(Mohawk brand names: Lacover, Rapid Pad, Qualisole), since it really
isn't lacquer but shellac.  At least, it is my experience that lacquer
sprayed over French polish will crack.
	Sorry I took so long to say that.  Don't know if it will help.  Maybe
someone else will get something out of it.  I work with this stuff all
day long, so if anyone wants to know more about touchup, I'm more than
happy to reply.  Used pianos are becoming a hot commodity around here,
and rejuvenating old pianos with these products is what I do.  Good
luck.

Paul McCloud, RPT
San Diego, CA