LPS 1 (was Re: Damp Action Drying)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:02:01 -0500

At 05:39 PM 9/20/97 EDT, you wrote:
>Paul:  Remove action and spray action centers with LPS #1..Recently I had
>a spinet with frozen action, always did play very stiff, not pleasant to
>play.  No fun removing those actions, but after spraying five cp in each
>note, piano played normally.  Elderly customer ecstatic.
>
>M.P.SELLER, R.P.T.

Dear list,

My wife and I bought a can of LPS 1 a few years ago when our car door lock
was freezing up.  We also used it on a few household locks, and to
lubricate the dials on a radio that were causing a lot of static.  The can
says that it is for electrical and electronic parts, and it also says that
it is safe for use on fabrics.  The product evidently contains no
silicones, but it does contain Petroleum distillate.  I was always taught
that Petroleum products have no place in a piano, so I personally would
think about finding a substitute center pin lubricant instead of LPS 1.

Here is what the can says, so you can read for yourself.

***************************************
On front of can

LPS 1

Greaseless Lubricant

Forms a thin, dry, lubricating film.  Won't attract dust.  Safe on all
surfaces.

Penetrates and displaces water to dry out electrical/electronic parts.

DANGER:  Contents under pressure; harmful or fatal if swallowed.  Read
cautions on back panel.

Environmentally Safe

On back of can

_Lubricates delicate mechanisms_ on typewriters, ... etc. (long list of
tools follows)

_Penetrates corrosion_ on delicate mechanisms such as indoor appliances,
instruments, hardware, precision tools, etc.

_Displaces water_ on ignition systems, ... etc.

LPS 1 is a safe, greasless, light-duty lubricant.  Because it forms a thin
dry film, LPS 1 Lubricant won't attract dirt or dust on the most delicate
mechanisms.  It penetrates hard to reach areas to loosen frozen parts fast
while providing short-term corrosion inhibition on metal surfaces.  LPS 1
displaces water to dry out electrical/electronic, communications, and
ignition systems in seconds without causing electrical resistance.

DIRECTIONS:  Apply on clean surfaces when possible. (Use LPS Electro
Contact Cleaner to clean surfaces.)  Additional coats may be added as needed.

LPS 1 Lubricant is safe on plastics, fabrics, rubber, paint and finishes.
Its greasless formula contains no silicones or dangerous chlorinated
solvents.  Easily removed with LPS Electro Contact Cleaner or similar
cleaner.  For medium or heavy-duty lubrication or protection against
corrosion, use LPS 2 General Purpose Lubricant or LPS Heavy-Duty Rust
Inhibitor.

DANGER:  KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN. Combustible.  Contents under pressure.
Keep away from open flame.  Store below 120 F.  Vapor may cause eye
irritation if not used with proper ventilation.  Do not puncture or burn
can.  Contains Petrolleum distillate.  HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. DO
NOT INDUCE VOMITING IF SWALLOWED.  CALL A PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY.  Use only
as directed.  Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling
the contents can be harmful or fatal.

ALSO AVAILABLE IN 1, 5 and 55 gallon drums

Manufactured by HOLT LLOYD CORP.,
Tucker GA., and L.A. Calif.

 The above material is directly taken from the can of LPS 1 that my wife
and I bought.  You may form your own opinion as to whether or not to use it
to lubricate a piano action, but I would prefer something different.  If it
works for you, great.

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT