Journal on Disk

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:26:45 -0600

Hi Del,

Shame! You would deny the resource of the Journal to us? The cd will only
make things easier to search for. Anyone who *wanted* to before could still
steal the materials.

I really think that the journal in the past has almost been useless the
index is always out of date. To be able to *really* search the whole of the
literature will be a boon to the *lonely* technician out in the field.

And yes my *chapter* has a library...the only problem is I live 440 miles
away from it.

Did you when designing your very fine pianos *not* use other peoples ideas?
I think not. So be kind and continue to be generous with your wonderful
knowledge.

At 08:32 AM 9/19/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Richard Moody wrote:
>>
>> ...not all on this most erudite (mis-use of the
>> word perhaps) list subscribes to PTJ, and have a better excuse than
>> me, like being in a part of the world where PTG doesn't exist, or
>> English is a third or fourth language.
>>   But I am happy to hear PTJ might be coming out on CD, at least past
>> issues so the rest of the world can catch up. (snide remark)  So soon
>> all of the references to the Journal can be accessed by all. (who
>> care to)

>Richard,
>
>I'm glad that you're glad the Journal might be coming out on CD. For
>obvious reasons, as a sometime author and contributor to the Journal, I
>have more than mixed feelings about it. Piano technicians, like many
>others, have little or no regard for copyright laws. I suspect that
>making the Journal accessible on CD will simply exacerbate those
>problems.
>
>The obvious solution for those wishing access to the information
>published in the Journal on a continuing basis is to simply join PTG. It
>comes every month. International memberships are accepted. I'm just
>old-fashioned enough to believe that those wishing to benefit from a
>service should be willing to help pay for it though I realize I'm
>probably in a minority here. Some issues are better than others, but
>there it is. That and most PTG Chapters have at least some kind of a
>library with back issues available to members.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"