Shrink Solutions: (Was Damp Action Drying)

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:56:52 -0700

In this thread, I read a lot of concern about avoiding getting this
solution on anything but the action center.  When I attended those
"factory tours" that Baldwin gave to batches of their dealer technicians
fifteen years ago, at that time they were fitting all their action
centers (out of the piano) with a wholesale application of their shrink
mixture (alcohol/water 8/1 plus bar ivory soap slivers) by spraying a
stream of mixture along the flanges and were unconcerned about getting
it on surrounding leather, felt & wood.  Did I misunderstand these
people?  What are they doing today?  I was told that the alcohol pulled
the water back out so fast that it couldn't hurt anything.  Anybody
know?

Their theory was that the wood of the flange swelled and closed the
center pin hole to a smaller dimension thereby pressing the bushing felt
too tight around the pin.  Very similarly to what glue-sizing does when
used to tighten screw holes.  Their description of what caused the
solution to work, is that the alcohol quickly swells the wood of the
flange more which makes the felt thinner.  Then the alcohol quickly
evaporates and removes all of the water including some that was already
there in the wood.  What you end up with is a slightly larger hole and a
slightly thinner bushing felt that is perfectly mated together in most
cases.  Their final statement was if the first application didn't get
it, douse it again or use another solution with more water in it.

Now I went home "all aglow" that I finally had a serious solution to the
endemic stickiness I continually find in "muggyland".  But, as soon as I
mentioned it to some other technicians in my Chapter, the instant
reaction was "Oh No! You can't do that!"  And they go on to tell me all
their worst "nightmares" about some other chemical they had spilled on
parts with horrible results.  When I tried to pin them down as to
whether it was pure alcohol or not they started "crawfishing" (backing
up, for all you non-southerners!)all over the place!

Does anybody have any concrete evidence that alcohol does anything at
all to felts, glue joints, leather or anything else in the action,
because I have been doing it like this for at least 10-15 years and
several of these pianos I still service and find only normal wear
without any deterioration that could possibly be attributed to the
solution.

Please advise,

Warren
--