stretching tension

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:07:27 -0500

luck.

Poor Richard
----------
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: stretching tension
Date: Saturday, September 20, 1997 8:53 PM

Richard Moody wrote:

> When one writes to a technical magazine, there is no pay.  Its
first
> for dissemination of ideas and then recognition.

That’s certainly an interesting philosophy. What gives you this idea?
can't eat the dissemination of ideas or recognition. Nor do they keep
me
warm at night. Why shouldn’t those benefiting from the work of the
authors be expected to pay something for the knowledge they are
gaining?
I’m curious—how much free tuning do you do for recognition?

> Consider also that technical magazines of  merit are available
> through major University Libraries.  Is this the case with PTJ ?

Perhaps not. So what?

	PTJ then is an obscure publication.  for better or worse.  rm

Actually, only a relatively few technical magazines are available
through most university libraries. I suspect that the Journal is at
least as accessible, though perhaps through different channels.

When I took courses at University of South Dakota there were in the
main library at least two hundred and this had been cut down from
four hundred.  That's not counting micro photo archives. And not
counting the libraries of the various schools of law, medicine etc.

> You wrote "Piano technicians, like many
> others, have little or no regard for copyright laws. I suspect that
> making the Journal accessible on CD will simply exacerbate those
> problems."
>
> hmm  if you got paid, then they owe me two cents......

Why? Do I (or does PTG) benefit in some way if you read something I
write for the Journal?

What are the "exacerbated problems"  then.?

> When they offer the Journal on CD or ezine, I will consider....
>
> Richard Nopolitesse Moody

I doubt it, but I’m sure that’s another issue entirely. In any case,
please don't confuse the Journal with what is commonly called a Trade
Journal, which is a magazine that is essentially bought and paid for
by
its advertisers, the content of which is worth just about what you
have
to pay for it. The last I heard the Journal was supported by PTG.
True,
there is some advertising, but certainly not enough to offset the
expense of producing it. PTG is a relatively small and a not
particularly affluent organization. Quite a few people sacrificed
quite
a lot to make the Journal what it is today. Again I ask, why
shouldn’t
those who benefit from it be expected (willing) to share in the cost
of
producing it?

—ddf

If the sales of PTJ on CD help in the cost of putting out PTJ there
is no reason not to put out the CD.
rm