particle board

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:48:58 -0500

Alex Thompson wrote:

> Tear apart any high quality loudspeaker, I dont mean a cheepie pioneer
> I mean
> a something comparable to a Bose or Infinity. (the cheapies use
> particle
> board too) They all are constructed out of particle board/MDF.

Actually, if you go to a high-end commercial sound re-inforcement
cabinet (like PAS, EAW, McPhearson, Deitz, etc.) you won't find much
particle board/MDF.  They use 13-ply Baltic Burch, 17-ply Russian
Laminate, etc. if they're using wood (looks more like Falconwood or
Delignit).  The  more exotic designs use polygraphite and carbon fiber
reinforced Kevlar.

Again, it goes back to construction costs.  Bose, Klipsch, Peavey, even
JBL are competing in price.  The high-end guys build what they consider
the best and try to justify a price point 2 or 3 times greater than the
rest of the pack.

You don't find a lot of McPhearson Monoliths in clubs, discos or living
rooms, nor do you find many S&S Bs or Ds in piano bars or living rooms .
. .

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter