Software

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 21 Sep 97 00:31:03 -0500

Keith M. Hamilton wrote:

>I am looking for a computer program that will
>allow me to save and restore Accu Tuner tunings
>in my IBM compatible computer.

You might be able to find a MIDI music sequencing program that could
record the "sysex" data message that the SAT sends out.  However, the SAT
sends out its data in a somewhat unusual sysex format in that the it
sends out its data as a single very long sysex message.  Not all MIDI
sequencing programs can record sysex messages, some sequencers might
"choke" on the long message, and sequncers tend to be rather expensive
programs in themselves.  Also, if you just save the sequence dump, as
with a sequencer, you would not be able to verify the integrity of the
recording because the dump does not contain any checksums or other error
checking.

The options available for backing up an SAT are:
     another SAT,
     a MIDI sequencer or sysex recorder,
     the Sanderson SAT librarian for the Atari computer,
     the Reyburn SAT librarians for DOS and for Mac, and
     Reyburn CyberTuner.

(The Sandersons are apparently developing a PC librarian for the SAT III,
but I don't know if it it will or will not support the SAT II.)

My opinion is that the librarian programs are easily worth the price.

There is an option that is becoming more viable as time goes on, and that
is to ask a CyberTuner owner to back up your SAT with CyberTuner.  I have
backed up a number of SAT's here in KC.

Kent Swafford