Journal on CD

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:06:20 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all,

Sure, you can go to where the library is stored, if there is one, and look
up a topic in the index, if one was purchased, and find the appropriate
issues, if someone else hasn't borrowed them. That's assuming you can get
there at a time when the archives are available. It's a tad cumbersome
compared to slipping a CD onto the carriage and doing an automated topic
search. The CD would make it considerably, and immediately, easier to follow
technical discussions relating to subjects covered by an article published
in the Journal three years ago which is too convoluted and tedious to repeat
on the list and is thus referred to obliquely. Perhaps I didn't consider
that particular article interesting enough to read at the time and put it
aside for "LATER". "Aside" is, in too many cases, the black hole where odd
socks and other perennially lost items accumulate. I can always find the
issue one month off, but often not the correct one. The J/CD would take care
of that by sitting in the rack next to the Simtel archive CD, ready for
casual prospecting whenever the mood peaks (peeks, piques). Personally, I
consider it already paid for by twenty years of dues, and am looking forward
to delivery any time now as one of the basic membership benefits.

 Ron Nossaman