Damp Action Drying

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:41:44 -0700

To all who responded to my query regarding damp actions, thank you.  I
had also thought of making a box for drying actions.  I once tried
putting an action in the back of my car in the sun, but it wasn't
effective.  It seems that if the action has had moisture in it for a
long time, even if it dries it seems to remain a problem (thanks Les).
I've found that sometimes after shrinking the centers with
alcohol/water, if I put Protek on them, they free up immediately.
Varying results in shrinking may be due to the various grades of bushing
cloth that different manufacturers use.  Mark Burgett (Pianodisc) told
me that he had a problem with Young Chang actions which would seize up
after being played with the pianodisc.  He said that the pins would get
heated up and the fibers of the bushing cloth would glue themselves to
the centerpins.  It seems that the felt Young Chang uses is made in
their own factory, and that there is some kind of residue left after
manufacture which causes the problem.  He thought that since the
Pianodisc is played sometimes for long periods that it shows up more
often than with ordinary playing.  He may be right about it, though I
don't really know.  But it does give one thought in regard to sticky
action centers.
	Thanks again for your input.

Paul McCloud, RPT
San Diego, CA