pianoman wrote:

Mark Wisner MWisner@yamaha.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:50:41 -0700

pianoman wrote:

> When a maker clearly makes a product leader for the world market why must
> they stoop to use this stuff.  Why can't solid wood be used and adjust the
> price up accordingly.  People do not buy 48" pianos and higher because they
> are looking for a bargain price.  They buy them because they want a most
> excellent product.  A few dollars is not going to stop them.  When a person
> is buying high quality, why must it include PB.  Is there no hope or am I
> crazy and have this anti PB opinion alone.  This stuff should be used on
> the digital pianos where we know they are not going to last a fraction of
> the acoustic pianos' like.

Rather than blame the manufacturers for leading the piano buying public down a road
strewn with non-solid wood core construction, I would encourage you to consider the
possibility that it is in response to consumer preferences or demand that ANY piano
is manufactured.  It is the consumer that dictates what will sell and what won't.  At
Yamaha, we make some excellent high end pianos, where each construction decision
is made based on the performance result alone.  Without regard to cost
consideration.  At the other end of the scale, are the models where cost is a primary
concern.  Believe me, we would rather make, sell and service nothing but the
high-end pianos.  But if that was the only type built, there would be far fewer piano
owners, even fewer new players and of course lots less piano techs.
But the piano buying public insists on ever more inexpensive pianos.  And we respond
to that demand by building the best piano we can for the targeted price range.  The
cheaper pianos are not built for any reason other than the demand exists already for
them.  It scares me that a high quality piano doesn't seem to have the same value as
it has had in the past.  But it's not a trend started by manufacturers offering
cheaper pianos.  It's more probably a statement about the importance of a fine
musical instrument to the new piano customers of today.