glueing controversy query

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:16:05 -0400

> why aren't they round rather than oval?

The reason they are oval is to have a broad bearing surface to help
prevent premature wear of the bushings.

It would have been nice if the key pins were made in a broad "S"
patternb so new broad bearing surface was presented to the felt thereby
prolonging the life of the bushings.

As I said earlier key bushings are critical to my action performance and
I prefer to do my own bushing for that reason.

I have found that if you polish the keypins with a superior metal polish
like "Flitz" and lubricate the bushings and the pins that the bushings
last three to five time longer than those that have not been treated so.
This jprocedure will help new pianos as well, especially those have have
small pins and narrow bearing surfaces.

I have tried this once and will try it again soon on my piano in the
garage.  Making up a solution of water and Woolite I will well wet the
bushings then install a bushing caul to size the bushings.  This worked
once for me and should work again for old hard felt.  If it does not I
will have to rebush the keys.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com