glueing controversy

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:14:56 -0500

The FRPins were made oval for a purpose.    On my wish list are oval
center rail pins. If and only if that would help with with those dog
leg keys where the bushings on the bass side endures all of the wear.
In that case they would have to be extra oblong.

Richard Hebendsthemforwardorbackwardandthencursesthosewhohave Moody.

I actually thought about putting some duct, scuse me gaffers tape on
the worn side.  Until the client could afford new bushings of
course...

> I know this is treading on sacred toes,

	Good one         so   holy toenails?    ??

----------
> From: Newton Hunt <nhunt@jagat.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: glueing controversy
> Date: Thursday, September 18, 1997 7:57 AM
>
> > by twisting the front rail pin the bearing surface is decreased.
>
> I don't agree that turning front rail pins neccesarily increases
wear,
> but even so, turning is a temperary fix.
>
> Turning a little exposes as much of the pin as if it were not
turned
> because the pin is an oval and would have to be turned close to 30
> degrees before causing a problem, and when wear does occur by
turning in
> the opposite direction will give more use of the felt.
>
> I like new felt because it is softer and much quieter, but if the
pins
> were polished and lubricated and the felt were lubricated with a
Teflon
> based lubricant then far more use of the felt may be had.
>
> I know this is treading on sacred toes, but, like so many things,
> intellegent use of resources and techniques can greatly extend
> usefullness.
>
> Please note, I prefer to do my own key bushing because I aim for
the
> perfect fit (not always attained).  I am extremely critical about
key
> bushings because they effect the performance of the entire action
and
> are the first impression of any  action.
>
> As for the 'bushing tightener', I think of it as a bushwhacker and
> should be critized before pin turning.
>
> I have, for a long time, wished for a good debusher along the lines
of
> two paralell chisels in a drill press, with an alignment pin and
> paralell fence along side (adjustable).  With the chuck arbor
locked in
> place a simple movement of the quill will remove the bushings,
leaving
> paralell sides thus providing perfect sizing for the intended felt
and a
> perfect gluing surface.

You need my bushing steamer,,,   a long slot in the top of a large
square cookie metal box.
rm

> This kind of setup would be perfect for destroyed mortices and
damaged
> buttons.

For that you need patented inserts,  extra thick bushing coth is a
big hassel.