Damp Action Drying

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:39:03 -0700

List:
	I just finished working on a Kimball console action which was almost
frozen due to dampness.  The house is only a few blocks from the ocean,
and although it is on an inside wall, really soaked up a lot of
moisture.  My usual "cure" is to dry the action slowly with a hair
dryer, and then put Protek on the action centers  to keep them from
soaking up more moisture.  I also put a dehumidifier in the piano.
Sometimes I use a shrinking solution ("Honey, I shrunk the action!") of
alcohol and water.  I have had the unfortunate experience of
overshrinking the centers, and had to rebush a whole set of hammer
flanges.  Since most other places in the U.S. have much more humidity
than San Diego, I'd like to know what other techs do to get rid of
excess moisture in the action.  Am I setting myself up for callbacks by
using the hair dryer method?  Is the dryer too strong, weakening glue
joints, etc.?  Should I just repin the action and ignore the moisture in
the bushings?  Just curious to know what others do.

Paul McCloud, RPT
San Diego, CA