Dollies--Piano Type

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:20:18 -0400

Some years ago, when I first started moving pianos, ( that was my first
mistake ) my brother-in-law offered me the use of his dollie of this type.
It seemed a wonderful contraption, wot wif its built in caster wheels, fold
down handles, quick-release ratchet straps, and small metal edge to slide
under the offending piano !!!
I think I used it for two moves, and then went back to the skid / strap /
4caster square dolly system.
Why you may wonder, did I give up this wonderful contraption??
First, the 3 inch lip was too small to hold the piano securely, especially
if taking it down stairs,  and as the strap stretched, the dolly slid UP
the side of the piano, leaving a delightful chip.
Second, Wally had used it to lug around his B3, being an itinerant
musician. The weight distribution on a B3 is  pretty even.  The weight of a
piano, on the other hand is 2/3 in the back, so the hand closest to the
back is carrying most of the weight.
Third, ant perhaps most significant, the handles were too close together,
and I couldnt get my hips between them; thus making me either stand
sideways, or lean forward. Neither position was very safe or
comfortable........
I  always use a skid under my pianos, and put them on a rubber covered
dolly.
Just another point of view!

Jim Kinnear
The PianoGuy,