Again?

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:30:31 -0500

	So here I was tuning the first warranty tuning on a U-1 #5528977.  I
looked down to the key strip top and what do I see under the unpolished
polyester finish but particleboard, ( I H PB ).  Now they have extended the
use of my most hated wood product up to a higher level than 45".  Now I am
wondering what is under the veneer on other parts of the U-1.  Does that
mean the same is true for the U-3 also.  How about the WX-7?
	When a maker clearly makes a product leader for the world market why must
they stoop to use this stuff.  Why can't solid wood be used and adjust the
price up accordingly.  People do not buy 48" pianos and higher because they
are looking for a bargain price.  They buy them because they want a most
excellent product.  A few dollars is not going to stop them.  When a person
is buying high quality, why must it include PB.  Is there no hope or am I
crazy and have this anti PB opinion alone.  This stuff should be used on
the digital pianos where we know they are not going to last a fraction of
the acoustic pianos' like.
	Today also I tuned a 40" Steinway console (long time client.)  I have
found that there is no consistent tuning method that gives a really great
tuning for this size Steinway and they are a real chore to tune because of
it, B U T,  everything in that little Steinway is solid wood core and I
have yet to see any manufacturer build a piano more structurally sound than
a Steinway.  They don't mince the price on any of their models yet most of
their production is sold before it is produced.
James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"A MAN IS LIKE A PIECE OF STEEL- HE IS NO GOOD IF HE LOSES HIS TEMPER"