"Schnebel"

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:24:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I received this to day I have never herd of them...
>
>  have you!!!!!
>
> BTW it came from Australia.
>
> Barrie,

Hi, Barrie.

Just a guess here, but I would assume that the name is Schnabel, not
Schnebel. Schnabel was one of the most over-rated Beethoven interpreters
who ever lived, as his recordings conclusively demonstrate. Nevertheless,
he was a big name in Classical piano music in the early part of this
century. Many years ago there were two "Schnabel" piano companies: One
out of New York City and one out of Austria. Both are long gone.

I assume what is happening here with the "Schnebel"(sic) piano is the same
thing that Samick did when they first started exporting pianos to the
US. Early Samicks came into this country under the assumed name of HORU-
GEL, which had once been a respected German-made piano to which Samick
acquired the name. Those who remember those early "Horrible Horugels"
will recall that they were some of the worst pieces of crappola produced
in recent times. They actually made latter day Aeolian-built pianos and
even Pearl River products look good! And THAT'S going some.

I don't know who is producing pianos under the name Schnebel(sic), but
I'd advise anyone considering buying one to avoid it on general princi-
ples. There are so many reasonably-priced Yamahas, Kawais, Samicks and
even Young-Changs being offered in the aftermarket today, that one simply
doesn't have to turn to off-brand, no-name "bargins" in an effort to save
a few dollars.

Schnabel the pianist was GREATLY over-rated. My guess is that the same is
true about pianos being sold under that name, too. Plus I'd be worried
about the fact that whomever is producing the piano apparently can't even
spell the name right! JMHO

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net