Refinishing: HLVP vs Conventional Systems

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:30:48 -0400 (EDT)

I've been useing HVLP for just over 10 years. I wouldn't go back. It has low
overspray
due to the high transfer efficiency (more material on the piece instead of
in the air).

I have an Apollo 800+, .75mm tip and Binks quick release cup (factory setup
has a screw
on cup - pain in  . . .).   Binks has a conversion gun for about $500 which
converts compressed
air to HVLP.   I've not used them but have heard nothing but good reports.

Combine low over spray/ high transfer efficiency with a quality waterbase
acrylic
(soon to be released - Pianolac) and you'll be all set.  However I still
spray lacquer
for plates, mixing bronzing powder for gold.

In fact, this new material promises to be_so_ good; that I have stalled the
current
refinishing job waiting for it. My customer is a little anxious to get her
piano back,
but I assured her it is well worth the wait.  Limited production is supposed
to start
this week and I'll have a few gallons by the end of the week.

E-mail privately if you want to get my first impressions on the finish material.
mailto:jpage @capecod.net

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)