Foote Rattlers (also EXPENSIVE safety pins! - cps)

cpstout cpstout@henge.com
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:13:56 -0600

Don Mannino wrote:

> Ed,
>
> I have never heard a small, almost invisible or hidden crack make a
> sound all through the bass that sounds like a rattle. A crack or small
> separation will buzz, but not rattle.
>
> A large separation will rattle, but it would be obvious.
>
> The way you described it, this almost has to be something hidden on
> the board, like a coin or marble or something heavy like that.
>
> Use a strong light and a dentist's mirror and look at the ENTIRE
> soundboard. Don't stop looking until you are sure you have inspected
> every square millimeter of the board. You will find something. Be sure
> to look under the bridge loop (between bass and treble bridge section)
> and under the bridge cutouts (if any - I haven't seen a B in a while)
> for a coin. They are very hard to see.
>
> Don Mannino RPT

Dear Ed and Don:

I concur with Don Mannino advice on the soundboard troubles.  Reminds me
of the time I billed a neighboring city  Dr and received no payment even
after several statements.

    Some time later I visited with a good tuner/technician friend and
happened to mention this non-payment to him.  He then responded that he
had not had any payment troubles with the Dr. AFTER he luckily bumped a
safety pin from a hole in the grand's plate!  (I certainly could have
purchased quite a supply of pins with the tuning payment I did not
receive.)  Come to think of it, that was the last time I never received
either a payment or reason for non payment in some twenty years work!!

	Thanks for listenin'. 		Clarence (Clancy) Stout R.P.T.
					Holyoke, Colorado