wage increasing reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 09:03:40 -0500

----------
> From: Burnersman@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: wage increasing
> Date: Saturday, September 13, 1997 7:59 AM
> Dear Ed,
I just went through the same thing in early August.  I had been $60.00 for
about 2 years and raised to $63.00 (5%).  I don't like to raise but I felt
I was slipping behind what I should have left over for fun things.
Yesterday I tuned for a lady I hadn't tuned for since before 1982.  She has
since moved into the burbs (as have I) and her little Whitney spinet now
has 3 daughters to play on it.  She was not home from work when I arrived
and I found the piano to be -23c low.  I asked the daughters to reach her
on the phone and explained that IF I raised the pitch to A-440 the piano
should be tuned again in 1 month. She said she would and before I got off
the phone she asked me why I raised my prices so much compared to what I
used to charge. Whoa.  How much more do autos cost as compared to before
1982.  How about houses, how about anything?  I did the best I could with
the rage silently working at my skill level.  I didn't tell her how much
money she didn't spend on tuning since 1982 and a lot of other things I
wanted to.  I really hope she doesn't call back for the 1 month
appointment.
You have to make your work worthwhile to yourself as sometimes the client
doesn't agree with your expectations.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com