Foote Rattlers

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:34:11 -0500

Remove the lid. Whether or not you still have the problem tighten all
lid hinge screws and lid support screws and make sure the pins are
not loose. After all of that,  I'll bet you a dime, you find a
quarter on the sb under the plate, in which case I will have to split
with Jim Coleman. (Ooops and all the others, my ISP was fubar for a
couple of days and I got 120 messages all at once. )  You may have to
tilt the piano to find it.  Hmm now what in a recording studio might
find its way onto the sound board?   It didn't by any chance have a
Helpenstiel pick up installed recently and then taken out. All kinds
of washers and nuts can be left behind from those contraptions.  OR,
A wing nut fell off a mike stand.  They picked that out but over
looked the washer.
	One other  note on objects on sound boards causing buzzes.  To find
out for your self, drop a penny on the sb and play for 10 seconds.
Move it around.   At least now you have an idea of the sound of
foreign objects on sound boards.
	But It does sound like a joint seperation.  If you find it be sure
to post the solution so we can add it to 10001 Causes of 1001
Obnoxious Sounds from Pianos.

Richard Moody   (#1002 obnoxious sound from pianos,, when he plays.)
(Hey how can I make it sound better if I can't hear how bad it
sounds? )

----------
> From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: A440A@aol.com
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Foote Rattlers
> Date: Friday, September 12, 1997 2:23 AM
>
> Hi Ed:
>
> Is there any possibility that some varnish inside the soundboard
holes
> for the plate shoulder bolts is touching the shoulder bolt? Or is
it
> possible to look with a mirror under the Bass bridge shelf for a
foreign
> object? Is there any debris caught under the relief kerf between
the
> bottom of the tenor bridge and the soundboard?
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 A440A@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >      Ummm ,   HELP!!
> >     I have run into a soundboard rattle that I cannot squelch.
It is a
> > Steinway B, (Hamburg).  and there is a buzz on all the bass
notes.  It is
> > presently in a very high-dollar recording studio, so it
absolutely has to be
> > fixed.  Here is what I know about it;
> >     Light pressure on the board, under the cut-outs around the
bend between
> > bass and treble areas will stop it, but wedging a small wedge
between the
> > board and bridge here will not.
> >      From under the piano, I can lightly tug on the lowest three
ribs and
> > hear a scrunch,scrunch sound which sounds like splintered wood.
When doing