String Scaling

robert sadowski rls@ncinter.net
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:31:08 -0400

Dear list,
     I'm restringing a Behr Bros. full upright.  The scale that was on the
piano had two
sections in the middle that had 14 and 16 unisons of gauge 17 and 16 wire
respectively.
a fellow tech suggested splitting up those areas with half sizes to make a
smoother
transition and also make a slight tone improvement -( by decreasing the
tension
slightly on an already tired soundboard).  Any validity to this? I'll
probably rescale
with P-Scale anyway but I'm just curious about the original scale design.
Does this
seem like an unusually high number of unisons with the same wire?

Thanks to all
Bob Sadowski RPT
Erie, PA