string leveling uprights (was http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptdigests/97/v1997.n068;string leveling uprights

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, list --

>>Seems to
>>me that using a spirit level will only make the strings level with
>>respect to earth, not necessarily the hammer.

So, first level the piano itself. Then level the strings. Then if the hammer
still does not fit, the hammer surface is not level, so level it.

Seems to me, this post started with talk about leveling _uprights_. Are we
implying that the piano has been tilted before we level the strings?

On the level,

Susan
At 07:59 AM 9/12/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Paul McCloud wrote:
>>
>> For those who like a really LEVEL string job, try this: Go to Home Depot
>> and purchase a plastic level (Empire brand).  Pop out the vial.
>> Purchase a set of magnets from Radio Shack (about the size of a dime,
>> 1/8" thick) and glue the vial to one of the magnets.  The magnet will
>> keep the spirit level on the 3 unisons without tipping over, and it
>> isn't too strong to interfere with or change the relationship of the
>> wires to each other.  The vial will show whether your strings are indeed
>> level.
>> Paul McCloud, RPT
>> San Diego, CA
>
>I may be confused on this issue, but isn't the point of leveling strings
>to have the hammer strike all strings in a unison uniformly?  Seems to
>me that using a spirit level will only make the strings level with
>respect to earth, not necessarily the hammer.
>
>Frank Weston

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"As long as you have your feet on the ground, your head is perfectly safe in
the clouds."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant