Plate Refinishing?

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:41:28 -0700

Hi Bob,

The lifting is caused by trying to spray too thick a coat with too fast
thinner.  What happens is that the surface of the coat cures too quickly
for the thinner vapor to air out of the entire coating thickness. This
results in a bubble being formed where the coating is the thickest - in the
corner.  The solution is to spray thinner coats and/or use a slower
thinner.

On material, I have tried acrylic lacquers from auto supply stores and was
very unhappy with the results.  I have been told that acrylic lacquers are
very brittle, which my experience has supported.  Also, automotive paints
have a great deal of pigment mixed in with the bronzing powder, which the
factory finishes don't.  To me, a plate finished with car paint looks like
a car, not a piano plate.

I went back to plain nitro lacquer with bronze powder.  I used solid body
nitro primer at one point, but eventually decided it was just adding to the
coating thickness without contributing anything to the quality.  Now I just
use nitro lacquer sanding sealer with (lacquer) spot putty to fill the
chips with a color coat of 50/50 clear top coat and sanding sealer and
bronzing powder and a clear coat of the same on top.

BTW, once thoroughly cleaned and sanded, the old shellac bronze coating
makes a fine undercoat for the nitro lacquer... I wouldn't be so sure about
acrylic.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
mstory@ewu.edu