http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptdigests/97/v1997.n068;string leveling uprights

JOE AND PENNY GOSS imatunr@primenet.com
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:09:48 -0600

Joel,
I just read your August 2nd post. I think you are right on target with your
information about string leveling grand pianos. However, it has been my
experience that even the most humble spinet could use some string leveling.
The exception would be any piano that has mis-matched bass strings on a
unison.
It is my practice, when removing the action for hammer shaping, cleaning,
tightening etc., to also use my piano tipper to lay the piano on its back
and level all strings. I do a little leveling on each piano that I tune
using my ear and the way my SAT lights react to the sound being generated
to show me that level of the strings  needs to be checked and adjusted. Of
course, I do not lay the piano on its back but only adjust the strings by
their feel. This works OK, but is not as good as a full string leveling and
voicing. After moving the strings, I do check the damper function,
especially the bass and trichord. I have seen several methods promoted on
the digest. Personally, I use a solid brass level that I developed myself
on grands and uprights that receive the full treatment. Joe