your mail

Robert S. Bussell rbussell@iquest.net
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:30:47 -0500

At 12:42 PM 9/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Leslie:
>
>By the strangest coincidence, I treated a piano on Monday which had
>previously been treated with tuning pin tightener. After the treatment,
>I tested the worst suspect pins. They were considerably tighter. I
>didn't have time to tune that day, but came back on Tuesday and
>tuned it. All pins felt tight like about 70 inch pounds torque. The
>piano tuned up very well. It took about half of a bottle of the original
>Dryburgh CA glue.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr
>
>PS For those who cringe at possibly ruining the block, remember, the
>block was already ruined, and this piano was not worth the effort and
>expense of a new block. Now, concerning the knabe upright which is
>being considered for a new pinblock, This would be an ideal project
>for pinblock segment inserts, because the plate will hold everything
>captive. This procedure involves routing out sections of the old pin
>block where the tuning pins holes are and inserting section panels
>bedded on epoxy. JWC.

It is great to see how our views change over time.  My first post to this
list, over a year and a half ago, was to suggest CA glue for temporary and
economical fixes to pinblocks.  As I recall I nearly nearly got laughed off
the list ( or at least snickered at)

BTW a side thread was started back then concerning winter freezing of
chemicals in the car.  The only chemical that I carry in to my house is my
titebond. The rest I left out in the car (all year) including my CA glue.
Yes, it went went through several freeze thaws and fared fine.  I finally
had to throw out a two year old bottle of thin viscosity hot stuff.  It
just got two thick and old.

MY chemicals include:
acetone & keytop
Ca glues