Plate Refinishing?

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:40:21 -0600

>Dear list,
>     Could some of you rebuilders throw out some of your techniques for
>sealing the
>old plate finish before applying bronzing lacquer?  I hate the thought of
>stripping the old finish off.  In the past I've tried shellac, auto sealers
>and primers and always seem to get a little lifting in those sharp bends
>around the struts.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Sadowski RPT
>Erie, PA.

I am hardly a rebuilder - yet - but I came real close to taking the plate to
be sandblasted.  I would have if it was for a better piano.

Most of the rebuilders out here are using acrylic automotive primer/sealer
and paint.  The professional stuff custom mixed at any auto paint supply
store.  It is a truly awesome finish that rivals the new factory stuff.
When I get my Steinway delivered in a couple of weeks I will take some
pictures and put them on my web page.  It was done this way.

Opinions?

Glenn.