Befuddlement??? -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:00:11 -0700

Hooray for Jim!  It seems a bit  wierd to be going on about "tuning shanks"
as though it would by itself make enough diff to matter.  An issue I do
think  makes a bigger difference, albeit slight: glue. Remember the time
when some were recommending hot glue guns (gluesticks) and such?  I
experimented with adjacent hammer heads glued up with Titebond,
Elmers, Liquid hide glue, wilhold wood glue, and a lot of other ones, (even
CA thick formula) and found an audible advantage to old fashioned hot
hide glue, especially in the treble.  I am sure someone out there has a
better technical reason for this phenomenon, but it  seems to relate to the
brittle/hard consistenct of hide glue which hardens as it cools, and relies
less on time for  water to evaporate.  And of course, it has less tendency
to allow hammers to wander than the others, too.
my 1 1/2 cents
Steve