Mason & Hamlin

Tue, 09 Sep 1997 07:51:05 -0700

Danny Moore wrote:

> a 1922 vintage Mason & Hamlin.  The original wippens, hammers, shanks &
> flanges have (in my opinion) made their last run.
>
> I'm inviting OPINIONS about the best parts to use for replacement.
> There are very few M&H's down here in the swamp, so I've never purchased
> action parts for one before.  This instrument is in a performance hall
> used by many of the local teachers.  It won't see any Masters recitals,
> but it will see the gamut from 1st year student to pretty serious
> player.
>
> Thanks,
> Danny Moore
> Houston Chapter

Danny,

Is there a choice? Use Renner hammershanks & wippens. (Treat all the
action centers with something—we now use McLube. If Renner is still
rubbing graphite on everything—and I assume they are—things can get a
bit sticky in anything but very dry climates.) Use Abel hammers.

By the way, why is everyone so concerned about opening "a can of worms."
Have you ever noticed how fast worms move? Not much threat there. Now if
you had a can of mosquitoes, or rattlers, or even mice...

--ddf