not quite 'factory'?

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 16:04:06 -0600

At 04:29 PM 9/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>If you have Journal issues from way back you can look on page 16 of the May
>1980 issue and find an article on the Use of Soundboard Springs written by
>John Bloch with some reservations.  If your stack of Journals doesn't go
>back that far, Guy, give me your snail mail address and I'll send you a
>copy. The photos and drawings that go along with the article will look very
>familiar to you.
>
>Ted Simmons
>Merritt Island, FL

Ted, Del, and all the others,
	Thanks very much for the offer, our chapter has those issues. We also have
some of the issues that Dean Howell left to the chapter, including stuff
from pre-PTG. Cool stuff.
	I'll be glad to see it (the kluge) in print, and I guess that will add
some "legitimacy" to the repair.
	To sort-of answer Del's post, no, I haven't tried to remove the thing,
yet. There's not really any notable energy loss in that range of this unit,
but...you know....it's kinda like "how do you know when anchovies have gone
bad?"
	The real issue here is if the owner has any cause for pestering the
original dealer.The piano was purchased "new". Enough time has passed that
the dealer can likely deny any knowledge of that kind of repair. I'm not
the regular tech for this machine, and the fellow that has been tuning it
has been doing just that....tuning. I used the old anology on the owner
about tuning being like putting gas in his car, and that it was time to
change the oil and rotate the tires. He may follow my advice and ask his
regular fellow about tone and touch regulating. If history repeats, the
other fellow's response will be "doesn't need it". But since I showed the
owner a couple of things, like unlevel-out-of-phase-squeaky-knocky-uneven
notes that shouldn't even be on a country recording, maybe he'll call me
back to make that $2000.00 improvement for only $500.00. Oh well...
	Thanks again to all for the feedback on this doohickus, I'll let you know
"how it comes out". ha-ha

Guy
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Irreversibility is the mechanism that brings order from chaos"
						Prigogine