Annoying jiggle sounds

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 07:58:09 -0700

Hi Bill,

You might try rubbing parafin wax on the joint (this will require removal
of the offending leg).  I've found this works fairly well at quieting
polyester ticks (which are a delicacy in these parts).

>List -
>
>I service a Hyundai grand regularly, that makes an annoying sound whenever
>any sudden pressure is applied, such as pushing the damper pedal, or in my
>case pulling/pushing on the tuning hammer.  I've wasted a lot of time trying
>to find and eliminate it.
>
>While the piano feels solid on its legs  (not like the cheap American grands
>that make me jam my knees up against the keybed to hold them in one place
>while tuning), there is an almost unperceptible jiggle started with each
>tuning hammer motion, that the piano then responds with a, "chick, chick,
>chick, chick..." so long you'd swear you had found perpetual motion.  The
>sound is similar to that of a dog walking "tip, tip, tip, tip..." across a
>hardwood floor
>
>It comes from the area of the rear leg.  Tightening everything accessible
>(pedestal screws, leg screws, etc) has no effect.  I suspect the polyester
>finish at the joint in the leg itself.  While the joint appears tight, could
>their be just enough motion of the finished surfaces against one another to
>produce this sound?  I wonder whether trying to spray some McLube into the
>crack might help, but don't want to mess up something that would make trouble
>later.
>
>Anyone else ever run into this problem?
>
>Bill Maxim, RPT

"Tunings are like bridges... Some are more exceptional than others, but
they all get the job done."

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com