not quite 'factory'? follow-up

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:15:18 -0600

Well.....
	Thanks to all for the feedback. I think that I am ultimately going to stay
somewhat distanced from this one, due to the possible legal ramifications.
	Anyway, to answer Davids' question about the possible "gutless" nature of
this unit, I'd have to say that it's not really gutless, but the voicing is
so bad I can't truly tell. There are a couple of dead-ish wires in the
upper bass, but I think a good twist will perk them up. The notes around
36-40, where the "insta-bearing" device is under the bridge, are just
nasty, not dull.

David said:
>Of course that is special add-on.  I believe it is called the
>"soundboard extensionizer"... or was that the "expression
>spring"..."insta-bearing device"...

>Sounds like a good way to lose power in a piano fast.  Might be
>a good way to quiet down a piano...?  Is the piano gutless?

Thanks, David.....those names are too hokey to be wrong!

"I assure you, this is not a factory item, nor would it be recommended by
Kawai!
Someone over the years since this piano was sold must have put it in."
Don Mannino RPT

How did I know that's what you were going to say.......of COURSE it's not a
factory item......yet. :^)
Thanks, Don. You get much taller, you're going to have to fork.

 "How the springiness
of the steel coil integrates with the way sound vibrates the larger
spruce panel, I don't know. It always seemed to a a truss belt for a
piano which had lost its "abdominal muscle tone"."
Bill Ballard, RPT

Bill,
	So far you're the only one who's ever seen one. Sounds like a legit repair
for something like that old square.  (abdominal muscle tone) Love it!
What's the work-out video called????? "Abs of Wood"?

	The problem here is that the owner of the recording studio bought this
puppy "new", (from my competitor), and is the kind of customer that
understands the techie part of instruments. He also hangs over your
shoulder, so to speak, when you're working in his studio. He absolutely
remembers NO such repair being performed on his baby. He's........miffed.

Joel says:
"Sounds like it may have been a quick solution to a buzz that was very
difficult to find.  By putting pressure on the soundboard, the buzz went
away, so someone put "permanent" pressure on the the board from
underneath.  No telling where the buzz (if any) was coming from but this
might have stopped it.  Just a guess..."

As it turns out, Joel, while I was there tuning, the owner pointed out a
persistant but intermittent
growly-buzz-fart-kinda-backround-comes-and-goes-sorta-nasty-aftertaste
noise that would appear in most pitch ranges. He said the other guy (the
tuner who didn't get back to him in time for this urgent tuning) had never
found it,(the noise), and it rarely showed up on recordings.
A quick fist to the case and a stategic foot led me to the right support
rod for the pedal lyre. Metal-pinned metal hinges. Oh well. 5 inches of
electrical tape, and it doesn't even show. No more growl.

	I think the sad part about this is that it may not be that big of a deal,
but it's ..not..right. I didn't push the owner any direction on this thing,
I just spotted it, pointed it out, and let him draw his own conclusions. I
felt I needed to confirm that it's not even remotely a "factory" item, for
the owner's peace of mind. He's no dummy. If he "gets into it" with the
dealer, I will likely suggest they bring in a tech from out of town. Only
two acoustic dealerships in our little corner of the poorest county in the
nation.

	Best green chile in the world, though.

Please excuse the long post, with any luck, no one will be contacting any
of you terrific people for permission to use your statements.

Guy

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Irreversibility is the mechanism that brings order from chaos"
						Prigogine