Silent series ?reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 06:52:22 -0500

----------
> From: Richard Moody  <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Silent series ?
> Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 11:45 PM
>
> I feel like a big Duh  here. Since it has been mentioned so much.
> What the heck is the "Silent Series"? Wasn't Yamaha's muffler strip
> good enough with those felt punchings
> that drop off when you remove it to tune? Like a little dab of pvc-e
> is gonna cost them that much?
> 	I am out of the loop as far as retail stores <sigh> and I let my
> Music Trades subscription lapse.  <duh>
>
> Richard DaDuh
Dear Richard,
Yamahas silent series is theie acoustic piano fitted with their digital
piano sound module that allows you to play in acoustic mode, electronic
mode through headphones, or both at the same time.   It is also midied
equipped. To do this they have fitted a device which stops the hammer from
striking the strings in  electronic mode.  For this to work they had to
make the piano able to function with a greater than normal let-off distance
from the strings.  That is what I meant.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com>