"Oval or Round Shanks"

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 00:26:43 -0500

DGPEAKE@aol.com wrote:

> One thing I like about Renner Grand shanks is the set comes with graduated
> with.  Heavier shanks at the bottom, and lighter shanks at the top.  The
> friction is graduated to and very little repinning is needed.

Dave,
I wonder if the shank widths are really graduated and with graduated
friction adjustments, too.  That would be some manufacturing feat on
thousands of sets!

What I have experienced are two shank configurations in a set.  Normal
diameter shanks and the last 20 of the set (includes extras) are reduced
on the sides only.  My recommendation (based on what I have seen on new
pianos that use these shanks) is thin shanks in the top section and also
the last two notes of the next to the top section as a transition.

----Joel