Lacquer Sources?

Wallace F. Wilson wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:01:34 -0400 (EDT)

Mark: yes.  Back from orchestra gigue at Snowshoe.  We scraped & sanded the
soundboard on the Bush & Lane, applied orange shellac to bring out the
grain, and two coats of General gloss water-based brush-on finish.  Looked
nice.  Added two coats of the Hydrocote Equal and didn't like it -- yet.
After each coat, I was sanding to 2400 grit micromesh.  Then I sanded it out
to 12,000 grit and it looked *great.*  The whole piano is beautiful,
transparent -- the finish, that is, not the whole piano! :)   If you think
you could be interested, go ahead and try it on something.  I like
Hydrocote's sanding sealer, too.  Both have a slight ammonia smell.  I wear
a mask anyway.  If you try it, let me know what you think.

BTW -- anybody out there have a good source of water based finish for plates?

At 13:15 9/4/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Wally,
>
>Have you tried this on old soundboards (scraped and sanded) yet?
>
>Mark Story, RPT
>Eastern Washington University
>mstory@ewu.edu

Wally Wilson