"Oval or Round Shanks" or to bend or not to bend

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 06:37:15 -0400

Richard & List,

I think that you forget to take into consideration the decceleration of the
hammer when it hits the string. The decceleration is much much more than the
acceleration. The hammer stops right there and then the shank will have to
flex to absorb that decceleration. The hammer has about 1-7/8" to accelerate
as it stops almost on the string (mind you, I know the string will move
around a bit). I think this is where the shanks flexibility will affect the
string contact time. And we all know that string contact time equals
voicing. So there must be an ideal compromise to be made depending on pianos
in order to get the "ideal" power to tone ratio.

Who knows, even I could be right.

Marcel Carey, RPT