Knabe sunken block

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:16:55 -0400

Dennis Benson wrote:

> List,
> I have a customer with a Knabe grand from early 1900's (6'2" I believe).
> It was restored in 1983 and a falconwood pinblock installed.
> Now the block has dropped to bind the action stack. It's wedged in pretty
> tight. The block is apparently screwed in from the bottom.
>
>         Question? How do I get it out and is it repairable?
>         Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis,

I have restored two of these pianos in the last year, and I can assure
you that the original pinblock was, and the replacement should be
solidly screwed and glued to the inner rim and stretcher.  If the block
has dropped, it was a poor job of installation to begin with.

If I had this problem, I would ease string tension, and tighten all the
screws on the plate to see if the block can be lifted back to normal
position.  If the action can be removed, you might also try a pinblock
jack.  I suspect you will find that the plate screws have loosened or
stripped to the point where they can not be retightened.  If such is the
case, longer screws may be an interim fix, but the ultimate cure is
probably a new pinblock.

My question: If the block is screwed in from the bottom, to what is it
screwed?

If this piano is a "B" model made before about 1914, it has the
potential to be a wonderful instrument.  It's worth the time and effort
to make it so.

Frank Weston