What is a Steinway Artist?

Michael J. Wathen Michael.Wathen@uc.edu
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 22:14:25 -0100

What in tarnation is a Steinway Artist?  Does this mean that they prefer
only Steinway pianos for concerts?  Does it mean that if there is a Baldwin
sitting next to a Steinway and the Baldwin is clearly better then they will
still choose the Steinway anyway?  Do they have a contract that says they
cannot play the other piano?  I know from my symphony work here in
Cincinnati that the artists get contracts from the symphony that obligates
the symphony to provide a nine foot Steinway.  But what if the symphony
complies with their obligation but the artist likes the non Steinway better?
Has anyone ever heard of an actual contract that the artist had made in
writing with Steinway?

 Michael J. Wathen, RPT			Phone:	513-556-9565
 Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
 College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
 University of Cincinnati
 Cincinnati, OH 45221-0096