Thinning hammer shanks,

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 19:06:54

At 05:39 AM 9/2/97 -0600, Kenneth W. Burton wrote:

>	Roger,
>
>	Nice to hear from you.
>	I have a question from my ignorance. Are you removing material
>from the sides of the shank, in relation to the hammer? Or are you
>removing material from the front (on the side of the hammer felt) and the
>back (away from the felt)?
>
>	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta
>
>On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Roger Jolly wrote:
>

>> Hi ED,
>>       Shanks can be slimmed down in the following manner quite quickly and
>> accurately.  Remove hammmer and shank, clamp to bench with two spring
>> clamps at the hammer head and flang, remove the required amount of material
>> with a good old fashioned spoke shave, lightly sand with 120 grit sand
>> paper, Job done.
>>   Some cautionary notes The blade needs to sharp, secondly make several
>> fine cuts and watch out for grain orientation, dont exert too much downward
>> force. You may pay some dues with the odd broken untill you get the touch.
>> Practice on an old set of shanks first
>> > Re; our previous comments hammer mass and touch weight, this tappering
>> technique is usually reserved for cheaper pianos that have uniform shanks
>> throughout. The difference in singing tone is well worth the effort. I
>> usually do both treble sections, gradually taking off less material. I also
>> do this before removing hammer mass to correct touch weight problems.
>> Kind regards Roger.
>> Roger Jolly
>> University of Saskatchewan
>> Dept. of Music.
>>

>Greetings Ken,
                The current discussion on hammer weight is starting to get
fragmented and muddied. Lets divide Hammer weight and shank geometry. Both
areas are very interactive and effect touch weight, dwell time ( the time
the hammer is in contact with the string), and tonal quality.
  Reducing mass from the sides of the hammer shank greatly increases its
flexability therefore helping it to rebound from the string faster,and
therefore reducing inpact noise, [woody sound] Because you are removing
quite a small amount of material and being much closer to the fulcrum point
it is less effective for adjusting touch weight.
  Tapering hammers is usually done to remove a significant amount of mass
to correct the touch. This I usually do on a belt sander and I normally
find that pianos that need this treatment need all 88 notes treated in this
manner.
  To keep things in perspective the discussion got started with some one
having problems with a Samick manufactured D H Baldwin. These instruments
of earlier manufacture have a very heavy touch 60-70grams and very
purcussive tone.
  The improvment to these instruments with this treatment is dramatic,
especially if accompanied with the steam treatment of the hammers as you
witnessed at the workshop I gave in Calgary. A half days work and the
customer will think they have a different instrument.
  I hope this helps to clarify the question.
  I personally do not subscribe to radical mass reduction on the better
quality pianos in the market place, if the regulation is where it should be
and the touch weight is correct, I would only use these techniques after a
very careful and pointed interview with the end user . Are they having real
problems with touch or is the voicing too mellow or muddy? and giving the
perception of being heavy.
  How on earth did you guys talk me into this internet thing? I now have to
read and think on a daily basis. P.S. Give my regards to the guys at the
next chapter meeting.

                         The Closet Steamer!