Water/hammers/steam/voicing

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 07:07:08 -0500

Thanks Keith, Del, Gina, Roger, Ed, for your help regarding voicing
requests by visiting artists.  I remember tuning at Berklee in Boston
for George Winston. He had sent a 12 page contract describing how the
piano was to be tuned. I remember it even spelled out that "...in the
temperment, F should beat against A at 7 beats per second..." It was
quite a lot of fun for all the techs to read. It also specified that
"...the hammers should be 'voiced' with the right side(treble) hard, and
the left side soft...", so as to create an even more dramatic effect
when using the shift pedal.
I wondered at the time if we should tune only the white notes, or the
whole piano ;)
The punchline was that I never had time to get in there and change the
voicing.  I did the tuning before he came to rehearse the night before,
and his representative called our office the next day to say he was very
happy with the piano!  Who'da thunk it?

Brad Smith, RPT
Manchester, NH