tuning

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:51:55 +0100

Hello ,

Before the SAT I used Thirds , A3 -F3 - F4 checked with 4the , Fifts,
Minor thirds and major sixths

Had the SAT in june 97

I use it very accurately by now, i.e.c.

FAC numbers
+ something on the F number  if large hall up to 1.8 cts, but it does
not mean nothing as cts, I use the 1.16 method with very good results
(journal september) - all depends of how I "feel" the piano.
Check the thirds, from A2 to A4 , and the octave, and the overall sound

Then I begin with the temperament if the piano is not more than 4 cts
env. I begin with A0 if pitch raise necessary or if more than 4 cts

If the FAC is OK, I go up to C5 , then I begin to correct the SAT
prescription by ear, most often the correction remains the same from C5
to C6, then from C6 to C7 or plus. If The piano needs some raising in
the treble I often correct it as I go. When the quick tuning is
finished, I check all by ear only, and I go on for another pass if
necessary.

Today I tuned 5 pianos and drive 120 Km env. I've done 1 studio at 8:00
AM, (STEINWAY D , 1h15), then 1 pitch raise and tuning (+ 26 cts)
(STEINBERG Bertical, 1:30 H),then a classical concert (C3 1:15), then
drived my car 70 km, then tuned a vertical ordinary (RAMEAU 1 h), then
drived, then tuned a C2 - The last tuning sounded very good (1h ) I put
some Teflon on the knules, and I am back home.

I begun to tune dayly only 2,5 years ago. Since I use the SAT, my
customers are happy, I am happy !, I am not tired so much, I can try to
perfect my tunings, my unissons, and so on. All the above pianos wher
nicely tuned, indeed.

I took a certain time to use the SAT with regular results, thanks to Jim
coleman investigations an all the journal input.

In France almost all tuners use a Third based partitiuon.

I dont write you to talk about me, even if I am very pleased (and a bit
proud) to have some good results in tuning now, I dont consider myself
as a so interesting person, but I wandered if my input was of some
interest for you.

Best regards to all
Isaac OLEG