Water on hammers

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:08:23 -0800

JElving@aol.com wrote:

> <<                    As for water on the hammers,it just came to me that the
>  water in isopropanol may shrink the felt, causing it to get tighter and
>  harder. BUT if it shrinks it too much, it may break the fibers just like
>  needeling to get the same effect.
>   >>

> My problem with isopropyl alcohol is the other things that are often put in
> to make it either colorful, or distasteful, or poisonous, or whatever. (Yes,
> even those dreaded perfumes they put in to make it *unscented*.) I would
> rather use anhydrous alcohol and add my own water to make it 70%. Much better
> for the hammers.
>
> John Elving, RPT
> San Leandro, CA
> JElving@aol.com

John,

Is any of this stuff really "better for the hammers?" I've always been of the opinion that, at best, some of it might be less
bad.

Once the hammers leave the press and are sliced apart, most everything that is done to them is destructive. The idea is to do
as little damage as possible and still get the results you -- or your customer -- want. In any other industry, manufacturers
making products like some of the rocks that pass for piano hammers these days would be drummed out of business.

-- ddf