tuning

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:39:52 -0500 (EST)

..Hi Ralph..

..when I tune aurally, it's a 4ths/5ths temperment starting on A4..then
octave down to A3..to D4..to G3..to C4..to F3..to F4..to *B*flat3..to
D#3..to G#3..to C#4..to F#3..to B3..to E4..

..i test with 3rds/6ths and 6ths/10ths..and use 3rds/10ths to test the
octaves..it's fairly conventional..i believe it's called the F-F Temperment.

..with spinets or on pianos I feel are poorly scaled, I'll actually add
Octaves to the temperment..for example.. after I tune G3, I'll octave to G4,
test, then move on..the octave additions usually add up to be a double
octave temperment..also, by adding these notes to the temperment affords me
the opportunity to test the 4th/5th relationships of the added notes..

..i'll test these octaves with 10th/17ths only because I can hear the slower
beats in the 10ths better than hearing the 3rds of the 3rds/10ths test..i
feel it makes for a smoother tuning in the treble end of the instrument..

..this takes a little longer, but I'm not as interested in time as I am in
giving the instrument it's best shot at sounding good..